Turfgrass is one of the most popular landscaping materials in the United States. Not only does it add beauty to a landscape, but it also serves an important function – providing a soft, safe surface for playing sports and relaxing outdoors.
Turfgrass maintenance is not as difficult as it may seem, but there are a few things that you can do to help keep your lawn looking its best. Here are 10 surprising facts about turfgrass maintenance:
A HEALTHY TURFGRASS LAWN REQUIRES ONLY 1 INCH OF WATER PER WEEK.
MOWING YOUR LAWN AT THE CORRECT HEIGHT WILL KEEP IT HEALTHY AND LOOKING GOOD
- For most grasses, the recommended mowing height is 3.5 to 4 inches. Turfgrass needs to be mowed at least once a week, preferably twice a week, in order to keep it looking neat and tidy. Mowing too infrequently will cause the turf to become shaggy and overgrown.
TO AVOID SCALP MARKS, NEVER MOW MORE THAN ONE-THIRD OF THE BLADE’S HEIGHT OFF AT A TIME.
IT’S BEST TO MOW YOUR LAWN WHEN IT’S DRY, AS WET GRASS CAN CLOG THE MOWER BLADES AND CAUSE SMEARING ON THE LAWN.
LAWNS SHOULD BE FERTILIZED TWICE A YEAR
- once in the spring and again in the late summer or early fall. A slow-release fertilizer is best, as it will feed the lawn over an extended period of time. Fertilizing too infrequently will cause the turf to become thin and patchy.
A GOOD WAY TO TEST IF YOUR LAWN NEEDS FERTILIZING IS TO PERFORM A SOIL TEST.
- You can buy a soil test kit at most garden stores, or you can have your local county extension office do the testing for you.
TO KEEP WEEDS FROM INVADING YOUR TURFGRASS LAWN, USE AN HERBICIDE THAT IS SPECIFICALLY LABELED FOR GRASSY WEED CONTROL.
INSECTS AND DISEASES CAN ALSO BE A PROBLEM FOR TURFGRASS LAWNS.
- If you notice any signs of insect or disease activity, take steps to correct the problem as soon as possible.
ONE OF THE BEST WAYS TO PROTECT YOUR TURFGRASS LAWN IS TO INSTALL AN IRRIGATION SYSTEM.
- An irrigation system will help ensure that your lawn receives the correct amount of water, at the correct time. If you’re using turfgrass as an artificial lawn, you’ll need to have it installed by a professional in order to ensure that it’s done correctly. Improper installation can cause the turf to buckle and become uneven.
IF YOU LIVE IN A COLD CLIMATE, YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT YOUR TURFGRASS IS PROPERLY INSULATED DURING THE WINTER MONTHS.
- Otherwise, the cold weather will cause the turf to die off and/or turn brown. If you live in a warm climate, you’ll need to make sure that your turfgrass is properly irrigated during the summer months. Otherwise, the turf will become dry and brittle.
Proper turfgrass maintenance can not only help keep your lawn looking good, but it can also help increase its longevity and save you money in the long run. Follow these tips and you’ll be on your way to having a beautiful and healthy turfgrass lawn. Schedule an appointment with Joshua Apadaca of Artificial Grass Master at (602) 691-5227.